Imagine if this had been a Republican political candidate. What would the list of follow-up questions have included?
- Why do you classify this as an error?
- Was it an error of omission or commission?
- What is the purpose of editing?
- Why wasn’t it posted that this was an edited call, in the same way that text edits are annotated when materieal is ommitted?
- How do you decide if the edit is faithful to the larger original context?
- How does this compare to your standards?
- Is this typical of your editing process? How do you know?
- Who monitors you?
- NBC issues apology on George Zimmerman tape screw-up (nextlevelofnews.com)
- Sarah Palin on NBC’s Today Show: “…When Barack Obama Took Over” (markamerica.com)
- Sarah Palin to co-host NBC’s ‘Today’ on Tuesday (boston.com)
- NBC News Admits ‘Error’ In Editing George Zimmerman’s 911 Call, Apologizes (mediaite.com)
- NBC: Romney will win primaries in Maryland and DC (donny-wise.com)
- First Thoughts: Romney to wrap it up? (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)
- Sarah Palin to co-host NBC’s ‘Today’ on Tuesday (newsok.com)
- Sarah Palin to co-host NBC’s ‘Today’ on Tuesday (hosted.ap.org)
- NBC Uses GOP Hostility to Women to Plead with Hillary Clinton to Run for President: ‘Why Not?’ (newsbusters.org)
- Bernie Goldberg To O’Reilly: NBC Should ‘Cut Their Relationship’ With ‘Irresponsible’ MSNBC (mediaite.com)
No sense of self, no sense of decorum. At least 1 person still takes him seriously, and that person is holding an etch-a-sketch
- Did you hear this one from Santorum? (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Michael Falcone reported from Arbutus, Md., and Arlette Saenz reported from Harvey, La. (imageinme.wordpress.com)
- Everyone Loves a Good Etch A Sketch Meme (newsfeed.time.com)
- Santorum doesn’t let up on Etch A Sketch attack (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- BREAKING: Mitt Romney confirms he is Mr. Etch-A-Sketch (dailykos.com)
- Etch A Sketch Comment Paints Mitt Romney As A Flip Flopper (inquisitr.com)
- Santorum invokes Katrina in questioning whether Romney would ‘blow in the wind’ (thehill.com)
- Foes seek mileage from ‘Etch A Sketch’ (cnn.com)
- Romney aide gaffe hands rivals an unexpected bonus (worldviewtonight.com)
- Santorum Hits Romney On Adviser’s ‘Etch A Sketch’ Comment (thinkprogress.org)
That there are 36 Obama aides who owe back taxes is great news for the country which had just learned at the State of the Union speech that Tim “Tax Cheat” Geithner wouldn’t be around for a second term as Treasury Secretary.
We now have an expanded pool of candidates to take over from Geithner, possessing his same qualities and practices.
- Jan Brewer and Barack Obama in Heated Exchange on Runway [Video] (inquisitr.com)
- Obama’s State of the Union: More Bailouts and Spending (truthsupport.wordpress.com)
- Impeach Obama (mrdaler.wordpress.com)
- Obama Calls for Unity During State of the Union Address (beenetworknews.com)
- Obama: No Retreat, No Surrender (themoderatevoice.com)
- Mitt Romney Calls Obama Administration a ‘Groundhog Day Presidency’ (abcnews.go.com)
- This Is Obama’s 2012 State of the Future (gizmodo.com)
- OBAMA HULK SMASH GOP [Desired] (gizmodo.com)
Gingrich’s personal life evidences such a lack of discipline that it undermines the party’s claims of bringing sober, responsible, controlled limited government to Washington. But the republicans have almost enver really stood for limited government except for a few brief shining years in the 80s. Their cozy relationship with multi-national corporations and large scale defense contractors, and their record of spending when in power surely is convincing that their governing principle is more of the same but with the trough tilted in their direction.
Gingrich will make the campaign and election a personal thing, a battle fo 2 different cults of personality, and make it all about who holds the reins of power in a DC centric scheme of government. The Gingrich myth is for a return to small limited governemnt, but he is making it all about him and grand re-inventions. That is the antithesis of small government.
Gingrich is tailor made for an outrage-a-day media which needs politicians to write their lead for them, and so Gingrich is their preferred candidate.
Romney’s story lines are so bland and convioluted, and require deep analysis that the press must surely dread the work that opposition reserarch on him would entail. All they have to do to get good headlines is offer him a microphone, and their week is set.
After 3 years of opportunity to make the anti-Obama case, this is what the republicans have become: a bundle of one liners and dice rolls in the hands of an ego maniac with little to no self restraint .
- The South Carolina Primary (spwg22.wordpress.com)
- Anti-Intellectualism: The Gingrich Front (jonathanturley.org)
- Gingrich Sets His Sights On Florida (miami.cbslocal.com)
- GOP Race Is Now a Tossup (pjmedia.com)
- South Carolina Vote Was “Primal Scream”, Newt Gingrich “Not Sustainable” (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- It was a knockout for Gingrich in SC. The party leadership can’t cover for Romney on this one. (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Scorned Woman Loses, Gingrich Convincingly Wins In South Carolina (mundabor.wordpress.com)
- Brace Yourselves for the War on Gingrich (markamerica.com)
- Newt Gingrich or Mitt Romney: Who Should it be America? (votingamerican.wordpress.com)
- Chris Christie Introduces the Establishment’s Fear of Gingrich In To the Presidential Race (whitehouse12.com)
- US – Gingrich beats Romney in South Carolina primaries (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Newtered (webnerhouse.com)
- Iowa polls: Gingrich strong but vulnerable (politico.com)
- Analysis: How Newt Gingrich Won South Carolina (boston.cbslocal.com)
I wish the President would go back a little further and channel Old Rough and Ready, and then get rid of the Fed. It’s hard to fault him though, as he is grasping at straws.
The sad thing is, grasping at straws and just flicking that jab out keeps the Republicans at bay while they desperately search for their fighter. Gingrich is coming out to toe the line, but if the Democrats ever wanted to design the perfect cartoon to represent the Republicans in the minds of their base its Gingrich. He embodies every stereotype that the Democrats wish were true of all Republicans: undisciplined, tool of the rich, flip flopper, uncaring, believes in differential outcomes while mouthing the words of equality of opportunity; accepts bribes, I mean he was a million dollar historian as a consultant.
That’s much different than Clintoon working with Corzine.
And now Gingrich says he will appoint John Bolton as Sec State: that will gain approximately zero independent voters, consolidate the left wing talking points and not convince any Republicans who aren’t already in his camp.
I’d buy ringside seats for a live unscripted debate though
- Gingrich: ‘I Will Ask John Bolton To Be Secretary Of State’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Gingrich: I’ll make John Bolton Secretary of State (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Obama channels TR (politico.com)
- Obama’s day: Channeling TR in Kansas – USA Today (content.usatoday.com)
- Democrats Start Taking Gingrich Seriously (politicalwire.com)
- Gingrich: John Bolton Will Be My Secretary Of State (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Gay half-sister of Republican Gingrich backs Obama (ibtimes.com)
- “If he will accept it, I will appoint John Bolton as Secretary of State” (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Thursday Blog Round Up (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Maddow Hammers Gingrich Over Sleazy History (huffingtonpost.com)
- Mitt Romney Opens Up To Media After Backlash (huffingtonpost.com)
- If Newt Gingrich Were President, He Would Name John Bolton Secretary Of State (huffingtonpost.com)
- Stewart J. Lawrence: Channeling Reagan? Newt’s Iowa TV Ad Is a Real Winner (huffingtonpost.com)
- TR? Obama’s more like Taft (politico.com)
- Romney opens up a bit more to media scrutiny (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Romney’s Plan To Destroy Newt (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Kansas – W.H.: TR, Obama not communist (politico.com)
- W.H.: TR, Obama not communist (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Barack Obama Tries To Channel Teddy Roosevelt (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Why Obama is listening to Teddy Roosevelt for 2012 (cnn.com)
- Echoes of TR – The ‘nuclear option’ for Cordray (politico.com)
- Campaign Stops: The Rough Rider and the Professor (campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com)
- TR Remsen – Episode 130 (timesunion.com)
destroy the economy and make the nation a less popular destination
A plan that clever calls for a 17 day vacation. the good news is that he wont get involved in any legislation. The downside would be if he takes that opportunity to invent new policies as successful as his first 3 years. i dont know if we could stand much more success in realizing his vision.
- Look of the Day: Cuffed and Cunning (fabsugar.com)
- Number of illegal Mexican migrants plunges (smh.com.au)
- Accessory Report: 10 Cunning Pony and Calf Hair Accessories (fabsugar.com)
- Look of the Day: Cunning Colorblock (fabsugar.com)
- The Illegal Immigration Slowdown (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Philip J. Williams: The GOP’s Dilemma on Immigration (huffingtonpost.com)
- State legislators unlikely to deal with immigration reform in 2012 session (tcpalm.com)
- John McCain: Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico Could Be ‘Up For Grabs’ In 2012 (huffingtonpost.com)
- A yet more cunning plan: IMF Italy bail-out part 327 (blogs.ft.com)
- Trend Alert: Cunning Cropped Blazers (fabsugar.com)
- Reid Seeks to Break Impasse on Payroll Tax Cuts, Unemployment – BusinessWeek (businessweek.com)
- Putin’s grip on Russian politics slips – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- GOP rivals seek to gain from Cain’s departure – San Francisco Chronicle (sfgate.com)
- US, Israel covert war against Iran suspected: report – AFP (google.com)
- 31 Are Arrested at Occupy DC Building Site – New York Times (nytimes.com)
Given the political climate in DC and the cynical, self-serving behavior of both parties which is the predictable downside of an entrenched 2 party system, the following scenario really concerns me:
I dont think the Republicans in Congress want to win the Presidential election in 2012, since they know the economy isnt going to heal in the time frame 2012-2014. There’s too much long term structural damage.
I believe they want to win the Senate in 2012 so that they can manage legislation that a President is forced to go along with, especially THIS President who has shown that he can be rolled.
So, if the 2 parties and their super committee cant sort through the budget reduction agreements in time, then automatic cuts go into place which supports the Republican agenda, DoD will take an extraordinary hit and this will be played out as gutting defense and attach itself tot he President which will tube his chances, as well as the Dems in the Senate who will be seen as ineffective weaklings.
That plays into the narrative for 2012 for Repubs to win the Senate.
What a horrible scenario, and what a horrible way to run a railroad
- Congressional Approval Lower Than 1994 (pinkbananaworld.com)
- ‘Party First’ Thinking at Core of Capitol Hill Gridlock (foxnews.com)
- 2 party system, will Singapore be sorry? (20114j.wordpress.com)
- Governor says congressional elections should be ‘suspended,’ maybe (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Bigger Battles Still To Come For Deeply Unpopular Congress (huffingtonpost.com)
- Capitol Hill’s Dysfunction Long in the Making – Fox News (news.google.com)
- Shutdown averted, but deep differences linger (ajc.com)
- Congress’ dysfunction long in the making (ajc.com)
- Capitol Hill’s Dysfunction Long in the Making (foxnews.com)
- Shutdown averted, but deep differences linger (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
Its Perry’s race to lose, and he looks like nothing more than Bush 2.0, without the speech impediment, but fewer ideas if that were possible.
Pawlenty dropped out after lacking the courage to even debate Romney when he had a chance, then tried to beat up Michelle Bachman and fell flat.
Newt is a cartoon of himself which hasnt aged well as he gets lost in the noise of an impatient media.
4 more years
- Tim Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race After Poor Showing In Ames (sensico.wordpress.com)
- Perry Makes Presidential Bid Official (politicalwire.com)
- Rick Perry enters U.S. presidential race (cbc.ca)
- Perry launches presidential bid in S.C., N.H., slamming Obama (boston.com)
- Pawlenty drops out of crowded Republican race (marketwatch.com)
- Texas Governor Perry launches 2012 presidential bid – Reuters (news.google.com)
- Shake Confidence in The Leadership of Obama for America (socyberty.com)
- Ex-Minn. Gov. Tim Pawlenty quits presidential race after weak showing in Iowa straw poll (nj.com)
- Rick Perry to run for 2012 Republican presidential nomination – The Guardian (news.google.com)
- Texas Governor Perry launches 2012 presidential bid (theprovince.com)
- Tim Pawlenty quits after third-place straw-poll finish – Los Angeles Times (news.google.com)
- Opposition group: 21 dead after Syrian naval forces shell port city – CNN (news.google.com)
- Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse – ABC News (news.google.com)
- Obama approval rating dips below 40% – USA Today (news.google.com)
- Cameron defends ‘zero tolerance’ policy – Aljazeera.net (news.google.com)
4 more years
The economy cant be pinned on Obama and the legislative failure is decades in the making. He will be tarnished but not held responsible.
The Republicans will run an ideologue and polarize the country, driving undecideds away from them.
Obama by default.
The good thing that can come out of that is that Obama may actually be in a position to do something substantive on entitlements. Not likely, but the alternative is worse
- Sarah Palin Continues Flirtation With 2012 Run, Will Attend Iowa State Fair (huffingtonpost.com)
- TIME FOR ANOTHER THRILLING INSTA-POLL: So, Sarah Palin and Rick Perry aren’t included in the Ames s… (pajamasmedia.com)
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry is little known but much loved, poll finds – The Star-Ledger – NJ.com (news.google.com)
- The Secessionist Looms (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Sarah Palin to resume bus tour Friday at Iowa fair (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Sarah Palin to resume bus tour Friday at Iowa fair (sfgate.com)
- Surprise: Palin’s bus tour to roll into Iowa this week (hotair.com)
- The Anti-Obama (politicalwire.com)
- NC-2012 Primary: 18% Romney, 17% Bachmann, 14% Perry, 12% Palin (PPP 7/7-10) (huffingtonpost.com)
By playing their game of tactical chicken to appease a subset of the republican party, the GOP has already walked away from the best deal they were going to get; There was a chance to get important concessions on major entitlements, but the no new taxes mantra puts us back into gridlock. The deal that’s finalized will eb worse for both parties and the country.
Looking for our Cincinnatus to bring sanity to DC
- Republicans will pay for the Tea Party’s ideological purity (oup.com)
- The neutering of John Boehner (salon.com)
- The Great Republican Retreat of 2011 (themoderatevoice.com)
- Grover Norquist: A Democrat’s Best Friend (themoderatevoice.com)
- Debt Politics: Why Grassroots Conservatives Are Turning on the GOP (swampland.time.com)
- For Grassroots Conservatives in Debt Fight, the GOP Is Now the Enemy (swampland.time.com)
- The Purity Test – Tea Party Nation (gds44.wordpress.com)
- America Needs Progress! (ascendofasheville.com)